These days, young girls will look to social media, the movies, and music videos to find inspiration. The Girl Scout of Greater Mississippi reminds them that strong, positive female role models can be found in their own communities. Chosen for their courage, confidence and character, we are honoring seven community leaders as Women of Distinction laureates for 2017:
• Barbie Bassett, Meteorologist
• Debra Hendricks Gibbs, Mississippi House of Representatives, District 72
• Rosalyn Howard, Executive Director, Mississippi Nurses Foundation
• Sherry Pitts, CEO Merit Health Woman’s Hospital
• Dr. Mildred Ridgway, Gynecologic Oncologist, University of MS Medical Center
• The Honorable Constance Slaughter-Harvey, Attorney
• Rosie Weary, VP/Co-Founder, The R.E.A.L Christian Foundation
“We focus on the power of a G.I.R.L. – a go-getter, innovator, risk-taker, and leader, and our laureates exemplify these traits for girls in our area to emulate,” said Becky Traweek, CEO of the Girl Scouts of Greater Mississippi.
The Girl Scouts annual Women of Distinction program brings together and recognizes a group of purpose-driven, women leaders in business, government and philanthropy; who, like our Girl Scouts, are dedicated to service and leadership.
The Women of Distinction laureate induction ceremony will be held Thursday, September 21st at the historic King Edward Hotel (235 West Capitol Street) in downtown Jackson. A reception featuring a silent auction will begin at 6:00pm, followed by dinner at 7:00pm. The hotel is providing complimentary valet parking.
For ticket information and silent auction donations, please call Mary Brinson at 601.326.5662.